Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving UGH.

11-27-08 11:38 P.M.
I can think of few things more frustrating than coming down with the flu on Thanksgiving at your relatives' house. Never experienced it? Let me tell you, It SUCKS. Everyone else gets to eat, drink, and spend family time together while you are quarantined to the far corners of the house...attic or basement you choose.

Bleeehhhh....Back to my air mattress, pile of pillows, blankets, and unfortunately the most nauseating feeling from head to toe that I've experienced in 10 years.

Okay wait, 1 quick thought:
I think it's true, and a little bit discomforting, "You don't know
what you have until it's gone." [At this moment good health comes to my mind]
Livable wages.
A HOUSE.
$20 to fill up a tank of gas in your car.
Shoot you have a car?!
Shoot you can Drive a car?!?! You don't walk to work? Wait a minute?!

You don't carry water for miles back to your house? What's a faucet?! Wait, your water is clean?


I do think people are "thankful" on this day. I just wonder "what?" it is that they--we--are thankful for. The truth is, a portion of the world population, much larger than any of us would truly want to ever precisely know, didn't have the means/ability to travel and be with family today/this weekend. Or spend an absurd amount of money on so much food [and ridiculous material goods on Black Friday like millions of people will in about....5-6 hours] that they have leftovers for the next 3 days...which is often wasted/thr
own away.

Today, even though I spent the majority of my afternoon/evening/night in complete discomfort, I'm thankful that all of my preparations and cooking was enjoyed by the rest of my fa
mily and relatives. Hooray. Everything turned out just right. So, many thanks for great food. I'm thankful for my jobs, my travels, my families, for music. For knowledge. Books. For ambition. For liberation and those who work towards equity and opportunity to the marginalized, who pick up the slack for all of us who falter in activism. Especially Thankful for those workers...
For laughter. Journals. Over sized fuzzy blankets. And drugs that make sick people feel better. For silence and peace.

I am thankful for Ava Sun-Hee Howell, who was born at 11:03 P.M. on 11-23-08!!!!!!! I hear November 23rd is a good birthday date in the calendar year. Shameless picture borrowing....she's beautiful.

I live a cushy life, with lots of love and support....
For Jeremy. Mrs. Wilson. Drew. Lindsey. Tricia. Caitlin. KAMP. Choson. Obama. Jordan and Jeanette. And Gracie. :o)
Happy Thanksgiving....

No comments: