Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sensory Memory: Memories

Taste. Smell. ----> Two of my strongest perceptions linked to my memory bank. Sound being a close third... regardless of the order:

I ate a peach the other day and had a flashback to when I was 6. I remember it was a pleasant July night. I was on our deck watching
a neighborhood baseball game going on at the park down the street. Dad had grilled corn on the cob that night. I could still smell the sweet, wet husks on my hands from my job shucking the corn earlier. It melded with the gentle aroma of honey and well, what else but--PEACH-- juices just dripping down my chin and hands after 2 big bites. The sky was slowly turning from its warm amber glow to a soft plum, the lightning bugs gradually appearing in flashes amongst the tall grasses in my backyard by the gardens.

I don't recall where my mom had gotten the peaches from, but the fleshy interior was unbelievably soft, the texture like-out-of-this-world-velvet...and I can remember sitting in the big wire thatched deck chairs, my legs barely dangling over the seat, but swinging them in content--- a juicy peach, corn on the cob, and the relaxing sounds of summer under a quiet sky. Everytime I think of "The High Life" or Luxury..... or blissful indulgence, I always think of that peach. Dam it was SO good!

click to view full size photo


No comments: