KVIK 104.7- FM K-Viking-Gold is a local radio station here in Decorah. I do not like their station. Nor their DJ's. Nor their radio shows. Nor their advertisements. Nor much of their music. It's just BAD FREAKIN' RADIO.
Their genre of music is Classic Hits...."oldies." I'm a Generation X child of the late '80s, and while my parents both grew up during the '60s and '70s (and '80s) raising me on everything from the Beach Boys, Elton John, Pat Benetar (yes I said it) Dire Straits, Kansas, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, etc.... I don't really connect with this music.
Frustratingly, this is the radio station that plays at the store when I'm working---like right now. Having to listen to this station nearly 3-4 days a week, week after week, probably has much to do with my disdain for their station. No, I take that back. Their station sucks, and their lack of diversity is the reason why I dislike their station SO VERY MUCH. And their DJ's sound STUPID....that and they play HORRIBLE renditions of the Star Spangled Banner EVERYDAY precisely at NOON. ***I really don't care how un-Patriotic that may make me sound....really don't. I don't need to hear the Star Spangled Banner sung by a half dozen local 9 year olds in their breathy-pitchy-tone-deaf-key-modulating-voices... In fact: (and Maybe I'm going to burn in the bowels of Dante's Inferno for saying this) I've been known to turn OFF the radio when the National Anthem comes on...
It's the same playlist OVER and OVER and OVER....AND OVER! "Classic Hits." The genre doesn't seem like that constricting, that rigid....there HAVE to be MORE songs out there than what they play...
anyways. I've resorted to iTunes Radio, XM Satellite radio, and youtube playlists I've created to maintain sanity while at the store. Yes I'll listen to Journey, and toe tap to Earth Wind and Fire and Fleetwood Mac...but Small Doses.
If ever I am driven to unhealthy drinking habbits, it won't be due to the fact that I work @ a Wine and Liquor store & bartend....rather the fact that this music makes me want to open a double magnum of Cabernet and finish it as quickly as possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment