Saturday, June 27, 2009

Death Life Time

It has been a very long day.
Last night someone died in an alleged explosion and fire in an upstairs apartment 2 businesses down the street, literally 10 yards, from the front door of the restaurant I work at.

Sadly, we were closed today due to smoke damage throughout the whole restaurant.... After the professional cleaners came in and sprayed the bajeezez out of the carpet, upholstery and booths with some funky "smoke and odor neutralizer" i spent today cleaning every single glass object in the bar. Stemware, glasses, bottles, mirrors, picture frames, windows, stools.... just an awful mess.

Luckily most of the food in the coolers and freezers were covered and in sealed containers....but every plate, pot, pan, tong, ladle and piece of silverware was washed and dried. Just a mess.

It's alarming to me, that foul play is perhaps aloof. Only time will tell. I was thinking quietly to myself over a few beers with other staff members this evening, how resilient this community is. Decorah has faced it's fair share of tragedies and hardships in the past year. And thinking back, I find some relief in remembering that tragedy, while awful, has a way of bringing out the very best of us. We were not created for destruction. Days like to today urge me to believe that we were brought to this earth and this world, that we've evolved to this point in history, with the inherent ability to nurture, to love, and to live with compassion and integrity of unfathomable potential.

feeling unprepared for the upcoming week of being a counselor at a Korean Adoption teen camp in Wisconsin. Haven't had time to collect my thoughts, or feelings, or pack a bag yet....which means I'll undoubtedly forget something(s) since I have to be on site in a little under 7 hours, with a 3 hour drive waiting . eff. what a day. prayers for whatever makes sense.

No comments: